Report safety and welfare concerns

Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and you must take action if you have any concerns about someone’s safety or welfare. This flowchart will show you how to report your concerns.

If your organisation has a designated safeguarding lead you can contact them for guidance in the first instance.

You can follow these links for guidance on sharing personal information and gaining consent to share personal information.

We advise you to follow your organisation’s safeguarding processes and policies if they differ from the steps shown below.

Is someone in immediate danger?

If someone is in immediate danger contact the emergency services on 999 If someone is not in immediate danger see below

Are you concerned that someone is being radicalised?

 If you are concerned that someone is being radicalised follow these steps

If you are not concerned that someone is being radicalised see below

Consider making a safeguarding referral

The steps below apply to people who are at risk of harm, or who have been harmed, within the boundaries of Devon County Council.

Find out what to do if someone is at risk/has been harmed within another local authority area.

If you are concerned about a child (aged under 18) If you are concerned about an adult (aged 18 and over)

Primary cause for concern is harm taking place outside the home or family – use the Adolescent Safety Framework

Consider if they meet the legal threshold for referral

Primary cause for concern is harm inside the family or home – consider which parts of this threshold tool best reflect their needs Requires referral into Devon Adult’s Services Safeguarding Hub. Please complete a referral form or contact Care Direct on 0345 155 007

Mostly level 1-2 needs

Requires Early Help Support

Visit the Early Help website for further information


Mostly level 3-4 needs

Call 0345 155 1071 for a MASH consultation

If appropriate make a MASH Contact

Guidance and access to MASH Contact form

If your concerns relate to child exploitation you may also need to make a Missing and Child Exploitation (MACE) submission

Guidance and support with making a MACE submission

Alternative forms of help and support

You can signpost people to a range of local support services. This may be helpful if you are waiting to hear back about a safeguarding referral, if someone does not meet referral thresholds, or if they could benefit from additional support.

You might also be in a position to provide someone with ongoing support.

Once you have made a safeguarding referral (or have decided that it is not appropriate to do so) please submit an information report to the police.

This will allow you to share information (including information about other victims and suspected perpetrators) that you would not include in a safeguarding referral.


  • What next?

    Find out what happens after you have submitted a safeguarding referral.

  • Self-help

    Access support if your work has affected your wellbeing